Welcome to Burley's School Counseling Department!
Your child's counselors are:
Leslie Fendley, School Counselor:
All of 7th Grade
6th Grade - last names A-E
Jackie Perry- School Counselor
6th grade - last names F-M
Counseling Staff also include
Andrew Davis, School Counselor:
All of 8th Grade
6th Grade - last names N-Zes:
Letty Martinez, Registrar
Stephanie Worczak, School Psychologist
Burley Middle School counselors provide the following services:
- Counsel individual students and lead small groups regarding their personal, social, and educational needs.
- Consult with parents, teachers, administrators and other support personnel.
- Lead classroom presentations on counseling topics.
- Orient new students and families to Burley Middle School.
- Collaborate with area organizations to enhance community involvement with the school .
- Manage student records.
- Refer students and families with additional needs to outside agencies.
- Participate on School-Based Intervention Teams.
- Register and schedule new students.
- Oversee 5th-6th grade and 8th-9th grade transition activities and events.
- Coordinate career exploration activities.
- Implement the county-wide bullying prevention program.
The goals of the Burley Middle School Counseling Program are:
- to assist students in their adjustment to middle school and later in their preparation for high school;
- to be accessible and sensitive to the needs of middle school students during this period of growth and change;
- to support students' personal and social development;
- to assist students in academic achievement and educational growth;
- to help students establish and maintain positive interpersonal and peer relationships;
- to help students develop effective problem-solving and decision making skills;
- to encourage and guide students as they explore career interests;
- to facilitate students' appreciation of the dignity and value of multiple cultures;
- and to provide a safe, positive emotional climate that enhances student confidence and learning.
How do I see my counselor?
Counselor Request: The counselor may schedule a meeting with a student to address a specific concern.
Teacher/Staff Referral: A student may be sent or accompanied to the Counseling Office when immediate attention is needed.
Parent Referral: A parent or guardian may request that the counselor meet with his or her child.
Self-Referral: Students wishing to see their counselor may request an appointment by coming to the Counseling Office and signing an appointment request slip.
The following links provide information about services and programs specifically for Charlottesville/Albemarle residents:
- Albemarle Family Magazine: An online family events calendar.
- Albemarle County Parks and Recreation: Information on sports, summer programs and camp offerings.
- Albemarle County Counseling Links: Links from the Albemarle County Counseling Department.
- Ready Kids Albemarle-Charlottesville Community Resources
- Computers 4 Kids: Great mentor and computer education resource.
- Hospice of the Piedmont: Go to the Bereavement section for bereavement camps for children.
- Supporting Your Adolescent: Tips for Parents: A great parent/child resource.
- Thomas Jefferson Area United Way: Opportunities for families.
- ACPS School Counseling Link